GUNROX is a hardcore old-school turn-based PvP game with full loot drop where you can take all of your opponent's equipment after killing him
hardcore old-school turn-based PvP game with full loot drop where 
you can take all of your opponent's equipment after killing him
Play Now Download

Thoughts about Gunrox

*DELETED*
Thoughts about Gunrox
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd post up what I thought about the state of the game - just general comments and suggestions mostly, but we'll see how we go: with these sort of posts, I just like to sit and chat - write down whatever comes to mind.
First up, I got directed to Gunrox by a couple of other friends who I've played some other games with. They said "hey, why don't you download this little game - its only 10 meg"... and whilst I was a little wary of the style, I found it to be an incredibly addictive game with surprisingly deep strategy.
Anyway, I've played a couple accounts to mid-low levels (my highest is 9... my others got banned for farming (my bad; had two pcs, thought it'd be a good idea to get some "insurance items" ☹ - didnt realise it was frowned upon :P). Now that I've played to a decently high level (in relative terms, anyway), I think I'll start a new account to try out some different builds and kit-outs.
In anycase, I've noticed a few things that do bother me about the game. Firstly, there appears to be some imbalances as far as the weapons go.
This exists, IMO, in two ways - imbalances between certain weapon classes and the progression in the tier system. I'll discuss the first part now, and I'll touch on tier progression later.
Simply put, it appears that sniper/shotgun or rifle/shotgun is the premier combo. In both cases, you achieve excellent damage and flexibility (the first combination is far better defensively, the second, far better aggressively). The problem, IMO, is less about the quality of the rifle/sniper weapons, and more about the degree to which the shotgun outclasses other close-range options (melee, for example). This is further compounded by the way in which the game does favour defensive strategies (although, not at the lowest levels).
Certainly, I wouldn't advocate much change to shotguns (at least not the lowest tier shotgun - the accuracy/damage at distance is of concern though) ; outside of melee, at the lowest tier, all the weapons seem roughly comparable and all have their uses (for a good example, compare the TMP to the AKS: both have strengths/disadvantages which make both weapons attractive). In order to promote variety, I believe two changes are key: making melee and pistols more attractive close range options, relative to shotguns and incentivising aggressive action (reducing the ability to soak damage).
I suppose the first thing to do in order to make melee and pistols more attractive relative to shotguns, is to first dramatically lower the damage/accuracy of shotguns at a distance. As far as melee goes, while its flexibility and damage are relatively low, its accuracy should be relatively high.
These changes would go a long way to promoting flexibility.
The second issue, I think ties in with the third, so I'll talk about them now. Later levels promote camping/defensive strategies and level progression widens the gulf between levels greatly. And while we're at it, lets quickly talk about the way weapons scale.
Personally, I think the whole problem lies in the degree to which as you progress you get far better at soaking damage (and as you get better weapons which promote a ranged game - i.e., the disadvantages of weapons like the AKS disappear very quickly).
Firstly, there is a serious problem with how much damage reduction, health, regeneration, and perks like turtle, you can get per character. I'll discuss each one in turn.
Damage Reduction is obviously a serious concern. Currently, I understand it is possible to get up to 90% damage reduction (I may be incorrect). It just isn't fun seeing your units deal such pitiful damage and makes games last far longer than they have to. Obviously, the key issues are armour providing more and more % reduction (and of course, as health/damage scale upwards, such %s become more efficient). Turtle/shelter contribute to this issue, but I'll discuss them later.
As easy solution to this problem is to implement
15 years ago Quote
15 years ago Quote
*DELETED*
Reply to *DELETED*
nice post, and many great ideas 😉 You said about comparing shotgun with pistol or melee. Pistol is medium range weapon, and better works on 4-6-8
(sometimes even 9) squares, thats obvious. But on close distant almost nobody choose to use knife instead of shotgun...Simply benelli is few times better than poisoned knife in melee, can provide great firepower on 3squares, harm many people with one shoot. My solution is greatly incerase knife accuracy and damage, that it could kill with 1 or 2 stab (thats because person need to spend many AP to get close). Additionaly it would make game little more aggresive, faster, intrestring 😉 reducing shotgun accuracy and damage at distant is not enough, couse everybody would choose shotgun in close fight instead if melee weapon (like now)
15 years ago Quote
15 years ago Quote

Download Play Now GUNROX is a hardcore old-school turn-based PvP game with full loot drop where you can take all of your opponent's equipment after killing him